What is Nordic Walking?
Nordic Walking was originally used by elite Cross Country Skiers as a way to keep in shape throughout the summer months. It has now grown into a popular way for people of all ages and fitness levels to gain fitness, tone up, lose weight and improve their health.
There are 4 major advantages
- You use 90% of your major muscles so your upper body gets toned as well as your legs and backside!
- You can burn 20 – 40% extra calories by using the poles – this can really help weight loss
- It takes pressure off your knees and joints and is great for back and neck problems
- You can get the most out of even a fairly short walk
What do I wear?
Please dress appropriately for the weather on the day and a spare layer if you think you will need it. Footwear needs to be comfortable- flexible soled trainers or walking boots are ideal (especially if they are waterproof) but AVOID solid heavy walking boots if possible.
A small backpack is ideal as you will need a bottle of water
Will I need my own poles?
You will be provided poles for taster sessions and technique classes, so there is no need to rush and buy anything. If you decide to buy any poles or equipment I would be happy to give you advice so don’t hesitate to ask.
A 45 minute taster of what Nordic Walking is about
NWUK Learn to Nordic Walk
Duration – 1 hr
- Session 1 – The fundamentals of Nordic Walking technique.
- Session 2 – Mastering hand grip and poles straps to develop technique, introduction for walking up and down hills
- Session 3 – Adding more speed, through improved technique and learning to keep in your own comfort zone.
- Session 4 – Improving posture and understanding technique, distance, speed & terrain.
Workout Walks – 1 hr
To help improve your technique & fitness
Adventure Walks – 1.5hrs to half day
More about location – Longer in length and all about the social aspect (often a stop for a cuppa)
Wellbeing Walks – 1 hr
Ideal for those with concerns about either distance or pace, gentle walks to build up confidence and improve your health
Please visit Harmony Nordic Walking for more information.
Join Us for Our Nordic Walking & Mindfulness Retreat
Friday 2-4 March 2018
This weekend will be Nordic Walking, introduction to Mindfulness and will include a cacao ceremony. Planned to recharge your mind and body by bringing together the fantastic physical and mental health benefits of Nordic Walking combined with mindfulness techniques. Connecting our body and mind to feel at one with our surroundings, increasing our awareness of the beauty of nature and space whilst exercising in our great outdoors has a real calming effect.